Sunday, October 4, 2009

End of Soup Week: Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

















So, I decided one day that it was time to venture out from my corn chowders and chicken noodle soups, and like usual wanted something quick and simple. You know when co-workers start saying to you "how's the corn chowder?" before they even see what soup I'm eating that particular day, that it's time to vary it a little bit! Well, I had seen this recipe a couple of months back on the Picky-Palate, and not only did it look delicious, but I knew I wanted to try it right away - especially since I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand. I think its both the wild rice and the spinach in this soup that make it so tasty. Since I freeze all of my soups to enjoy later on for work lunches, I just leave the spinach out when I freeze it, then add it to the soup once it's reheated.

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Source: Picky-Palate
Serves 6

1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups homemade chicken broth
1 can Cream of chicken soup
1 can Cheddar cheese soup
3/4 cup milk (I used soy milk)
2 cups roasted chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 cup cooked wild rice
Salt and pepper to taste
Spinach, shredded into smaller pieces (For a whole pot of soup about 4 cups; for individual soup about 1/2 handful per bowl)

1. In a large pot, saute onions and carrots over medium heat until soft (about 5-7 minutes). Add garlic, and cook stirring constantly for another 60 seconds or so.

2. Add chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, milk, chicken, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil. Once heated through, remove from heat and stir in the spinach. Serve immediately ~ enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment