Monday, October 5, 2009

Baking Powder Tea Biscuits

















You know, for the reward you get from something so simple, it's a wonder that I don't make these every week. The only take about 20 minutes or so from start to fully cooked, and are SO GOOD when they are done. I've tried these tea biscuits plain and they were delicious at that (particularly when they're hot out of the oven), but they are even better when you add extras to them! I've tried quite a few variations, and so it's pretty fun to adapt them depending on your mood, or whatever you're having that day. The ones I have pictured here have raisins in them, which was a complete home run with grandma - these ones go absolutely perfect as an afternoon snack with tea or coffee. For my husband and I, our favorite is when I make them to go with chili - in that case, instead of raisins I use grated cheddar cheese instead.

I have to admit, I did have a bit of a disastrous experience when I tried to make these with frozen blueberries. Don't do it. If you aren't going to listen to me, and are going to attempt these with frozen blueberries (or any fruit for that matter), do NOT let the berries thaw first - that's where I went wrong - keep them frozen or else they burst and make the batter much much too moist. Picture me standing in the kitchen with a gloppy mess, and grandma walking in, looking at me and just saying "what are you making??" Despite the mess, I cooked them anyways. Definitely not as pretty looking as the others, but they taste good still. So there.

So, go ahead and try them - it can't go worse than what I experienced.






Baking Powder Tea Biscuits
Source: Unknown (I got this recipe off a girlfriend, but don't know where she got the recipe from)
Yields 10-18 biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
(Optional - whatever addition you want to add such as a handful of raisins, cheddar cheese, or gasp! frozen blueberries)

1. Preheat oven to 450F degrees.

2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with a fork until the mixture is the consistency of cornmeal. **If you are going to add any extras such as raisins like I've done, now is the time to add them.

3. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the milk. Once added, stir vigorously until the mixture comes free from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly for a couple of minutes.

4. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick, and cut dough into biscuits with a 2" biscuit cutter (or simply an overturned glass like I've used).

5. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Around here, they definitely taste best hot served straight from the oven, though you could let them cool on a cooling rack if they last that long. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mikyn, I tried this recipe last night. I added green onions and parmasen cheese. It was very good, and very easy. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete