Monday, September 28, 2009

Soup Week: Dad's Borscht


















Ok, ok, so I never promised to be a food stylist, nor an excellent photographer. So, forgive me when it comes to the picture. I think I took like 10 or more pictures of this same bowl of soup, and it seems that I'm still trying to figure out how to avoid flashes in the soup itself though here obviously I need to work on clarity. I'm working on it though!

I mentioned before that I'm a soup lover, and I think every time I talk to someone about cooking, I always always say that soup is my favourite thing to make. So, that's why I've decided to do a soup week. All are SO delicious!! Check in every day, and you'll find some delicious soups that I think are all currently or at least have been stocked in my freezer at some point over the last couple months.

Growing up, my father was the cook, and a fantastic one at that. While as a kid I could never bring myself to eat a soup that had both beets and cabbage in it, I do still have many memories of it being around quite often: Dad enjoying the "chunkier" version, and mom pureeing it for a "smoother" version. I personally vote for the chunkier version. I know what you're thinking... beets, cabbage and carrots in a soup? Could it really be that good? Well, if you've ever tried borscht (and even if you haven't), let me tell you that it IS good (and I'm pretty picky)... and no it is not "the devil in soup form" as I've heard it so affectionately referred to :) So, try it - you'll love it. And a huge thank you to my wonderful dad for passing on his recipe! I did adapt it a bit from his recipe, but it still turned out delicious.

Borscht
Adapted slightly
Serves 10-12

5 russet potatoes, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
1 large beet, shredded
2 stalks celery, shredded (omitted from original version)
4 cups chicken broth (or you could use beef broth... I used homemade)
1 tomato, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium to large red cabbage, shredded
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3 stalks fresh dill, chopped and stalks removed (the key here is LOTS of fresh dill!)
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2-1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp pepper)

1. In a large pot, boil the potatoes, carrots, beet and celery in the chicken broth until soft, about 5 minutes. When it comes to a boil, add the tomato, and reduce it to a simmer. (Note: in my dad's version, rather than using shredded potatoes, he chops and boils the potatoes separately and then mashes them, adding lots of whipping cream and butter until the mixture is almost runny.... then add it to the vegetable/soup mixture to make a creamier and thicker soup. This sounds incredible, though I opted for the healthier version by omitting both).

2. Using the butter and the olive oil, fry the cabbage and onions until just softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 60 seconds. Once cooked, add the whole mixture to the vegetable mixture. Season with dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper, seasoning to taste. With the salt especially, season with just a little bit, then taste it and re-season as necessary. Be sure to use a bit of a heavy hand with the pepper. It'll give you a bit of a spicier soup, and it's delicious! Bring to a boil and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment