Sunday, August 9, 2009

Light and Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes

Blueberry season here in the lower mainland is in full swing, and I am LOVING trying out all of the fabulous blueberry recipes out there. This weekend I drove out to one of the blueberry farms that are nearby, and bought three huge flats of blueberries (of which most will be frozen for future enjoyment!). With my fridge stocked with fruit, we've been eating the berries by the handfull, but I also wanted to make something else with them. I recently discovered this recipe for blueberry pancakes on Sidewalk Shoes, and I knew I had to try them. The pancakes were light and fluffy, and the blueberries added a bit of extra sweetness... YUM! Let me tell you, they were nothing like the heavy, dense pancakes that I remember having as a kid. My husband and I both enjoyed them so much, that we actually had them two days in a row - something that doesn't happen very often in our house! We will definitely be making these again.


Blueberry Pancakes
Makes approximately 10 pancakes (or if you like really big ones ~ about 5)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)
2 Tbsp melted & cooled butter
1 cup blueberries (Next time, I'll probably even use 1 1/2 cups!)

1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.

2. In a separate bowl, wisk together the eggs and milk. Stir in the melted butter.

3. Gently stir the milk and egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix only to moisten the flour; don't worry about lumps, since over mixing will cause it to loose its light fluffiness.

4. Gently fold in the blueberries.

5. Ladle the pancakes into a preheated non-stick skillet (I used a bit of olive oil for cooking). Cook for about 2-4 minutes in order to brown the bottom of the pancakes (when the bubbles start to appear it's time to flip!). Flip, and cook on the other side until brown. Enjoy! You'll be coming back for seconds, that's for sure :)

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate chips would be so much more delightful than blueberries! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets be honest... Chocolate makes everything taste better :)

    ReplyDelete